27 July 2010

Movie Inspiration: Picnic at Hanging Rock


So lately I've been mildly obsessed with Australia. Books set in Australia, devouring three seasons of "McLeod's Daughters" (don't judge) and apparently also watching the 1975 classic Australian film "Picnic at Hanging Rock" (as an aside: if Mel Gibson wasn't such a douche I'd probably have watched the original Mad Max for the millionth time). 

I give nothing away when I say that "Picnic at Hanging Rock" is set at the turn of the twentieth century and follows the story of 3 classmates who go missing and the aftermath of their absence.  The whole film has a dreamy quality too it which matches the state of the 3 girls before they go missing.


Fashionably, the whole feel has a strong 1970s feel (enough with the middle hair part ladies!) and the outfits might not quite be period accurate, but oh how the 70s loved Victorian and Edwardian clothes.  I thought in honor of "Picnic at Hanging Rock" I'd feature some great choices from my fellow etsians and myself that suits this film.




1970s does 1900s
1970s cream Victorian Ruffle Shirt, $28 at Ragamuffin Designs

1970s peach Victorian inspired skirt, $56 available at my store, Vint Condition Style

1970s Gunne Sax Victorian Inspired dress, $110 available at Little Veggie Vintage

3 comments:

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Fun post! I'll have to check this movie out.

I just re-watched A Room With a View last night (for the first time since it originally was released). Something about summer heat always makes me wish to escape to other times and places.

A. Price said...

i love that you posted about this. i hadn't heard of mcleod's daughters and now i'm going to have to watch on netflix! I posted this a while ago, about Australia. recently I watched The Year My Voice Broke. just love aussie films
http://ohadrienne.com/3-australian-movies-you-should-see

Aimée - Vint Condition said...

Oh thank you! I'll have to check out "The Year my Voice Broke." Also, don't overload on Mcleod's Daughters, it goes from crazy soapy to crazy crazy. They kept the show around forever and eventually all the original actors were gone but the show still kept going!